Invest In Our Planet With 5 Things You Can Do Right Now
Over the past 50 plus years that Earth Day has been commemorated, the initiative has helped mobilize billions of people worldwide to demonstrate support for the environmental protection of the planet we all call home. This year’s theme is Invest In Our Planet.
From EarthDay.org: “We need to act (boldly), innovate (broadly), and implement (equitably). It’s going to take all of us. All in. Businesses, governments, and citizens — everyone accounted for, and everyone accountable. A partnership for the planet. And while there is still time to solve the climate crisis, time to choose BOTH a prosperous and sustainable future and time to restore nature and build a healthy planet for our children and their children, time is short.”
One of the main objectives of Earth Day’s yearly commemoration, especially given this year’s theme of Invest In Our Planet, is to show businesses, communities, politicians, and citizens that small, incremental changes can have a dramatic impact if done collectively.
But often, the question becomes what can be done to help impact climate change where people are right now? How can they demonstrate support for the environmental protection of the planet in convenient and meaningful ways?
Here are five things you can do right now to help support Earth Day’s mission.
- Plant a tree. Trees are aesthetically pleasing for those with room on their property while reducing CO2 and purifying the air. If placed in the right location, their shade can also drastically reduce indoor temperature and energy use for cooling in the hotter months.
- Change your commute. If your place of business, local grocery store, post office, or retailer is within walking or biking distance, why not leave the car at home to help cut back on emissions when the weather is pleasant.
- Change your light bulbs. According to Energy.gov, “Lighting accounts for around 15% of an average home’s electricity use, and the average household saves about $225 in energy costs per year by using LED lighting.” But beyond just changing light bulbs, make sure you’re not irresponsible with your lighting. Turn off lights when you’re not in a room or office and open blinds and curtains to take advantage of the natural sunlight coming through windows on a clear day.
- Stop drinking bottled water. In June of 2021, the Container Recycling Institute revealed that 86% of disposable water bottles used in the U.S. become litter, adding some 38 billion disposable water bottles to overcrowded landfills – bottles that are not biodegradable. Single-use water bottles are completely unnecessary given the many safe and reusable options on the market today, not to mention those often handed out for free at trade shows and vendor meetings.
- Shop local and buy sustainable. Whenever possible, support local small businesses and growers, which reduces emissions associated with transport and cold chain storage. Sustainable agriculture alone uses 56% less energy and creates 64% fewer emissions than traditional farming.
Most importantly, it’s up to all of us to spread the word to friends, family, co-workers, and our political leaders to Invest In Our Planet. Continual education is critical for everyone to understand how climate change is a reality that impacts us all.
Earth Day is celebrated on Friday, April 22, 2022. To learn more, visit earthday.org/take-action-now.
Find Your Perfect Planter!
The HC Companies offers a wide variety of greenhouse, nursery, cannabis, sustainable, and retail planters and pots. Find the one that's right for your growing operation today!Browse Products