Fiber Pots and Biodegradable Planters – Real-World Results Revealed
Posted on: June 25th, 2020
As more environmentally conscious consumers demand more sustainable options in all walks of life, growers see fiber pots and biodegradable planters as an opportunity to bring their inventory full circle by utilizing and marketing plants grown in sustainable, molded pulp growing containers.
It’s a unique differentiator in a competitive industry, but it’s not without its share of concerns.
When it comes to fiber pots and biodegradable planters, the question of real-world results in typical growing cycles is often asked by growers using traditional plastic plant containers in their operations.
Concerns surrounding the applicability of fiber pots and biodegradable planters are legitimate and critical for growers across North America, for altering the growing medium could not only impact crop yields but ultimately profits as well.
HC, with a full line of fiber pots and biodegradable planters, set out to alleviate these concerns with growing trials conducted throughout the United States.
We understand that fiber growing containers are unique in their composition and therefore it can be difficult for growers to understand how and where to use them, not to mention how plants can be successfully cultivated in them.
During these trials, it was important to:
- Validate the integrity of fiber containers under normal, typical greenhouse growing and cultural conditions – including varying irrigation practices.
- Evaluate and confirm finished product presentation and integrity throughout the retail sales channel/ship-to-shelf sale.
- Evaluate and confirm fiber container degradation over time, as well as plant performance, in simulated consumer applications where fiber containers are planted.
The trials featured:
- 3.75 URC Geranium Trial – Direct Stick
- 4.00 Rosemary Trial – 50 count Rooted Liners
- 4.00 Organic Trial – 72 count Rooted Liners
- Perennial Liner Trial – 50 count Rooted Liners w/shift
- 3.75 Planted Pot Geranium Trial
- 4.00 Herb Trial – 10-week crop, rooted cuttings
- 3.50 Planted Foliage Liner Trial
- 4.00 Annual Trial
While the individual timelines, tracking and overall results are highlighted in our informative webinar, Understanding fiber growing containers through real-world applications (watch now!), here are the observed conclusions.
- Overall, the fiber containers held up extremely well during the growing duration under normal, cultural growing conditions.
- They proved to be strong and resilient when handled and their composition was not weakened under normal irrigation practices.
- Root systems developed as they would in plastic containers, and in many cases, appeared to be larger, healthier and more fibrous.
In short, fiber growing containers are a suitable alternative to plastic containers for growers searching for a sustainable growing solution.
Interested in sustainable solutions?
Check out our full line of fiber containers and request samples!Learn More